Monday, October 15, 2007

Make Levees, Not War

If you've read my profile you know my husband is in the military. We also happen to live on an army base. Yesterday I was invited to a barbecue. Since entering grad school I find that doing laundry has taken a back seat. So, with nothing to wear I grabbed my "Make Levees, Not War" t shirt.

Suffice it to say I got many dirty looks from many big guys. It didn't add up at first. I couldn't figure out what their deal was. Then I looked down.

In New Orleans the shirt wouldn't get a second look. But anyone with sense would know a military base isn't the place to showcase this sentiment.

However, I have more passion then sense. I'm proud of my shirt and stand by it's declaration. I dare anyone to question it. I believe domestic concerns should take precedence over foreign policy. Until we get an administration that understands this I will wear my t shirt.

P.S. I get better responses from my Fema Evacuation: Run bitch run tshirt. At least they let a laugh escape before giving me a disapproving look. I once had a soldier tell me I should have homeland security investigating me because of the tshirt. I laughed. Some people have absolutely no sense of humor.

4 comments:

saintseester said...

I get it. I think we can do both, though. Levees and anything else that needs doing. I have that Reggie t-shirt: Finally, a Bush everyone can agree on. I get dirty looks here when I wear it. Can't people just take a little joking fun?

Love the Fema t. I want one. The lady across the hall from me used to work for FEMA and she has very interesting stories.

The long, long road home,New Orleans said...

FEMA t shirt can be found in the quarter at any of the shops. I first saw someone wearing it a t jazzfest. I just had to have it.

Leigh C. said...

I got one right after I moved back to New Orleans that says "FEMA: We All Ask'd For You!", and on the back it lists a whole bunch of neighborhoods that got flooded from 8-29 and after. I saw another one in the Quarter that I thought was funny, too: "Proud To Be Authentic Trailer Trash: Thanks, FEMA".

The t-shirt sloganeers have been on fire since all the shit went down over two years ago.

The long, long road home,New Orleans said...

I love both of those. SO funy but so apt. I found a bumper sticker on cafe press..."roe vs wade, Fema's prefered way of getting out of New Orleans. There is so much creativity of this city. And I love that in the midst of so much frustration, humor is not al together lost.