Saturday, April 19, 2008

Another deployment

My husband left the army in January. However, he took a military contractor job. Today we got the news he'll be deployed for a year starting in mid march. I've been trying really hard to keep myself composed but I'm not happy. I hate these separations but he loves the six figures he'll make for the year. Now we have to worry about how the VA handles prescriptions in Iraq. (He left the military with asthma and a number of other problems.) I also have to review the disability insurance and life insurance policies. When you are a contractor you don't have the same benefits as soldiers and I'm not sure the disability covers war zone injuries. I know the life insurance doesn't have a war clause. It may seem morbid to consider these things but I work part time and I'm in grad school. Its my second time having to review these things and it's a normal thing for soldier's families. Its a risk contractors take in hopes of a nice paycheck. I'm not sure its worth it.

2 comments:

Leigh C. said...

Ohhh, madame, please please please make sure he is careful out there. Some of these contractors don't give a damn for their employees - only the profits. I'll be thinking of y'all and praying for his safe return.

The long, long road home,New Orleans said...

Your absolutely right. Luckily he's going to be working with the unit he was with when he left the military. They will make sure he's taken care of.